Tuesday 16 February 2010

Ode to Cilantro

I heart cilantro. Actually, I heart fresh cilantro and fresh basil. Have you ever gotten one of those cute window sill herb gardens as a gift? You picture yourself with Martha Stewart’s face super imposed on yours as you snip fresh herbs from your sill every night? Or not. If don’t want to wait that long for your Chia Herb Pet to sprout or if you don’t have Martha’s skills, no worries! A fresh bunch of cilantro is about $1.50 at my grocer. I rinse a little snip of it at a time, and put it in a cute jar on my counter so that I am reminded to use it. The rest goes in the fridge. If it all went in the fridge, I would forget to use it. The key is accessibility and visibility.

A fresh bunch of basil is $3.00. A gigantic, fragrant basil plant from Trader Joe’s is also $3.00. It provides enough basil to last a month, and you don’t have to worry about keeping it alive. Water it when you feel bad for it, and just pluck, pluck, pluck those sweet leaves until your heart is content, or until the poor guy is dead. Then you just buy a new one.

Fresh basil in salad, on pasta, and even in drinks just makes me feel so charming. I throw cilantro in my store bought salsa, on salads, sandwiches, and guacamole.

One of my favorite uses for cilantro: Mix a bunch of it with sour cream, freshly squeezed lime, freshly ground and course salt & pepper. Top sweet potatoes with it, dip sweet potato fries in it. Put it next to the salsa and tortilla chips.

One of my favorite savory breakfasts and uses for basil: Slice ripe tomato, top with freshly ground salt/pep, olive oil. Let sit while toasting English muffin. Spread ricotta cheese, top with tomatoes and chopped basil. More olive oil, salt and pep.

The other option: Trader Joe’s sells frozen cubes of garlic, basil, and cilantro. If you can’t grow or freeze it on your own, theirs is wonderful! I buy that, or herb paste. I never use powdery dry stuff if I can help it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Budget Fabulous. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase