Tuesday 16 February 2010

Curd this be love?

I have found my true love. It is something that I keep in my bag of tricks. My Nana used to slather English Muffins with the most perfect Lemon Curd. In the states, Lemon Curd flies under the radar. It is usually in the jam section. It runs about $3.00 a jar, but it holds up in the fridge forever.

If you don’t know what it is, I am so sorry. It is a creamy, buttery lemon spread made of eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and unsalted butter. It is perfect for scones, blueberry muffins, and any breakfast goody of the like. That use is not creative, but still heavenly. Where it lends itself as a trick, is in the more unexpected dessert category. Whenever I make a dessert and someone asks me: "This tastes wonderful, what's in it?" The answer is almost always "Lemon Curd".

Warm it up and drizzle it on vanilla ice cream with fresh blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries. Any time I chop berries for dessert or waffle purposes, I always mix with a little curd. The sweet and tart citrus give berries such a great little kick. Drizzle on trifle when layering—this rounds out the flavor wonderfully. Lastly, it is a wonderful middle layer topping when making a coconut cake, or even a yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Delicate lemon flavor is a wonderful compliment to chocolate frosting.

The best trick of all is to eat it by the spoonful!

1 comments:

emma said...

Wow. Becca, is it too early in our relationship to tell you that I love you? Probably, but I'm going to anyway. Anyone with a passion for lemon curd is a hit in my book.

I have something to share. Once upon a time, I hit on the idea to make lemon meringue pie but very unfortunately didn't have any lemons or lemon juice. Dang. But instead of silently sobbing, I went to my store cupboard and found a tin of Scottish raspberries. And that, good people is how raspberry meringue pie was born. Yum.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Budget Fabulous. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase